I love the holidays. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Easter all of them are my favorite. I try to make each one special for my kids because growing up I didn’t have that.
Every year we have a frugal halloween party. of course, it has to be a frugal kids Halloween party. Here are 5 tips and tricks to help you plan a fun and frugal Halloween party. My parties are geared towards frugal kids Halloween parties but all of these can be used for an adult only party too.
- If you didn’t catch Halloween decorations on sale think basic. Orange, black, and white. Orange tablecloths with a black face and white used for ghosts.
- It’s too late this year but right after Halloween start planning for next year. Right after Halloween is the perfect time to get Halloween themed decorations and such at a low price.
- Skip the pumpkin patch. I love dressing my Halloween parties up with carved pumpkins, but in this case, going to a farmer is going to more than likely cost you more money. Most pumpkin patches base prices on weight unlike the supermarket ( I usually grab mine from Walmart) that sells them at a set price.
- Have any party hats and party plates laying around? Glue the party hat to the bottom of the party plate, paint it black, and then add glitter. Ta-dah you now have a witch hat!
- Giant spider? No problem. Paint a gallon milk jug black, (8) paint the pool noodles black and then cut the pool noodles into 2 pieces. one a little longer than the other, then use black tape to tape the legs to the gallon jug using the black tape and then tape the long piece to the shorter pool noodle. Paint eyes on the jug and tada you have yourself a large spider.
Food and drinks
- Use chocolate to attach Hersey kisses to an oreo. Pipe orange around the seam you have an adorable and cheap party snack that looks like a witches hat.
- Instead of those cute ghost juice boxes go with a bowl of red fruit punch. Halloween it up and freeze the juice in a hand mold or a glove to keep it cool. You could also use water, but as the hand melts it will water down your juice.
- If hands floating in the punch isn’t scary enough freeze fake spiders and snakes in juice/ice cubes. As they melt you’ll have creepy critter floating in your drinks. Make sure to wash the spiders and insects though.
Games and fun
- I have smaller kids so instead up the floating ducks to make is more Halloween I use floating mini pumpkins. I get them from Walmart.
- Go old school everyone loves a good sak race or pin the face on a pumpkin.
- Decorate cookies. Let the kids decorate their own little cookie. It doesn’t have to be expensive make some sugar cookies in different shapes. give them some different colored frosting in little baggies with the tips cut off. Put sprinkles in a bowl, and call it a day.
*Pro tip think Christmas! Do you have a little girl (or boy!) that loves to dress up? Grab Halloween costumes when they go on sale for half off! They make the perfect gifts for Christmas. Last year we bought every Halloween princess dress for sissy. She still loves them!